torstai 18. helmikuuta 2016

Garter Petticoat

Once upon a time, winter came. It was cold and snowy, and I had to go outside for groceries. And parties. And things. Life, you know. I like to wear light layers when temperatures drop to freezing. Three skirts keep you warm far better than one. 
But I had an issue with socks and legwarmers. When walking, they tend to slide. And you have to stop to pull them up and your knees get cold and, well, all in all long socks and legwarmers are a pain to wear. 

So I came up with something. 

I dug out a jersey top I no longer like. And four garters. 
I cut the top to length, and shaped the sides just a little bit. 
 I sewed an elastic ribbon to the waist... 
 ... and attached garters to the hem. 
No longer will my socks run down to my ankles, thank you very much. 
 My Grand Invention will soon come out as a sewing pattern. I hope you'll like it as much as I do! 

Until next time. 
Love, 
Heather

perjantai 12. helmikuuta 2016

Corset ReVamp, pt. 3

Once upon a time, I had a not-so-pretty leather corselet. As I didn't want to throw it away, I decided to revamp it. In part one, I took the garment apart, and in part two, I embellished it with lace. This week, I get to show you the finished product. 

I wanted to replace the lining because it was red and not properly attached to the leather. As I took the whole thing apart, changing was actually pretty easy. I cut new lining from black cotton, and attached it to the seams while putting the corset back together. I left the seams on the right side in order to gain a tidy and smooth inside.
 I covered the seams with bone channels, and boned the corset with 7mm spiral steel.
 To the front, I sewed buttons with white splashes on them. I pondered between these and black buttons for quite a while, and chose these only because I liked the way they seemed to repeat the glow of leather.
 I didn't touch the eyelets I'd put in a million years ago. I attached the new lining next to them. I might add a bit of lace to the back later to hide the seam: the stitching isn't quite as straight as I'd like it!
 The fresh lining is much nicer than the previous one. Now I won't have to feel like the red is clashing with my... oh yes. I keep forgetting that.
 
 I even managed to get the lining to settle tidily on the inside of the lacing. 
All in all, re-creating the corset was surprisingly straight-forward. The only thing giving me real trouble was deciding how to decorate it.
 The finished corset isn't as long as the original. It turned out as a short half-bust. Which is really nice, since I didn't have one in my closet before. 
I'm really happy about the way the corset turned out, and I trust it will get much more wear this way. 
And yes, I dyed my hair black. I'm loving it so much <3>
Until next time!
Love,
Heather

keskiviikko 3. helmikuuta 2016

Corset ReVamp, pt. 2





Once upon a time just last week, I started my Corset ReVamp -adventure. Today, I shall continue. 
As promised. 
My original "corset" had plastic boning. After taking them out, I found, non-surprisingly, that they were in pretty shoddy condition. After only a few wears, the plastic bones were bent out of shape. 
To give the corset a longer, more comfortable life, I decided to bone it with 7mm steel spiral. 
This is a very light form of steel bone, which works best for decorative corsets and corset tops. It is comfortable, durable, and flexible. And my favourite since it so versatile. 
Now the bad news was that the bones I had stashed were a bit on the short side. 
So no overbust for Heather.
 As mentioned in pt. 1, the leather had stitch marks on it. My first instinct was to add buckles and rivets and all sorts of things made of metal. 
That, however, seemed to clash with the rest of my wardrobe which is floating to a more feminine, romantic direction. 
So, rummaging through my stash and leaving a horrid mess behind, I ran into a bit of lace left over from an order made a long time ago. 
Non-elastic, high-quality lace. 
Floral and romantic. 
After placing a bit of satin ribbon on the corset pieces to cover some of the stitch marks, I wondered...
 I cut motifs out of the lace. And then I...
 
... I appliqued them onto the leather. 
With the stitch marks now completely covered, I could concentrate on deciding how to close the thing. 
When contemplating many things metal, I planned to add a zipper to the front of the corset. 
Zippers are cold, though, and they always slide. 
I don't like busks, either, so I went for my signature-solution.
 I created a criss-cross buttoning to the front of the corset. I've done this before, and I really like the way it looks. 
This option works on decorative corsets only. If you want a proper waist crincher, always use a busk.
 With the corset embellished, it's now time to move on to putting it together. 
Stay tuned for the big finale! 

Love,
Heather