keskiviikko 15. heinäkuuta 2015

Let's Make... Boring Tee to Cool Top

Once upon a time, there was a T-shirt. 
Now I'm not much of a T-shirt -person. There's something I can't put my finger on that makes me uncomfortable when wearing one. 
Naturally, T-shirts are very common, and many find their way to me. 
I see it as my sworn duty to give each one a makeover. 
This Tee had a girly skull print. I liked it, and wanted to turn the Tee a bit more feminine. It was an almost perfect fit, so I didn't need to take it in at the sides. 
I started by folding the Tee with side seams facing. I cut off the collar and the sleeves, leaving a deep V-neck and a low rise back. 
The easiest way to do this is to first cut off the sleeves, and then open the shoulder seams. After that, it's much easier to get the Tee to lie flat on a surface. After, take any backless top, fold it accordingly, and use it as a pattern to find the right length for the back piece. The neckline is best shaped while trying the top on. You can cut it super low, or leave it higher for more coverage. 
When opening the fold, I got a backless V-neck top. 
Which naturally needed something. 
I measured the distance from shoulder to back, and covered it with elastic band. I didn't cut it, but used the same length of elastic to bind the back of the top. I left another bit of elastic to the other shoulder. These would later be used as straps. I used ordinary elastic band, since I'd accidentally ran out of all the nicer kinds. Elastic lace will look pretty as straps, too. 
I bound the neckline with narrow elastic lace. 
 I added two more straps to each shoulder, so that I had three pairs. I would have added some elastic lace to the straps, but, well, I ran out of that as well. 
 I attached the straps to the back piece. As an afterthought, it might have been a good idea to make the straps cross each other... that would have given me a trendy cage-detail. 
 The transformation didn't take long, but did wonders to an ordinary Tee!
The top turned out nice and comfy, and with a subtle skull print, I can wear it without feeling like an exclamation point. Next time I do this, I'll add an extra pair of straps (or two) and see how much fun can be had with crossing them!

Until next Wednesday. 
Love,
Heather

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

... and leave some of the happiness You bring