keskiviikko 8. heinäkuuta 2015

Elise Shawl

Once upon a time, I found a violet cotton cardigan from a flea market. I liked the colour, and I liked the feel of the knit, so I bought it and took it home. 
I do this a lot, buy a knit from wherever, give it a good wash, and unravel it for yarn. It's a cheap way to get loads of yarn, but it does take a bit of effort. I'm going to write a tutorial on how to upcycle sweaters for yarn, but today, I'm just going to flaunt something I made. 

Two years ago I got a bit of a Christmas-panic. I had five nights to go, and no present for Mom. So I got some red wool blend, and rummaged through Ravelry for something quick and lovely. 
What I happened upon was Evan Plevinski's Elise Shawl. It's a beautiful, airy shawl which can be made in any size. Mom's shawl ate 200 grams of yarn, and took three nights to make. 
Later, I decided to want one for myself. So I took my violet cotton, and set to work. 
The lace pattern is easy and consists of just two rows. It's quick to memorize, so this shawl is a pretty perfect watching TV -project. 
I had an entire cardigan's worth of yarn, and I used it all for my Elise. It turned out pretty big, and a good blocking would increase it size even further. It's just that I tend to wear this a lot, and can't be bothered to block it after each wash... 
Shawls are lovely, but they tend to be a bit tricky to wear. To force mine stay put, I crocheted a flower from the little yarn I had left over. 
Behind the flower, I sewed a button. I use this to close my Elise so it won't fall off when I see something shiny and get all exited. 
 Made from cotton, this is a perfect summer shawl. It's light, it breathes, and it still provides warmth when I need it. 
 And it's big! Of course, I'm tiny, but still that's a lot of shawl. 
 I'm very happy about the way the finished shawl came out, and I really like the Elise pattern. 
A shawl can be worn in many ways, but we often forget that it can work as a skirt. It complements gypsy-inspired outfits, and doubles as a hip scarf for belly dancing. Scarves and shawls are very versatile, so don't forget to take advantage of their full potential. 

Until next Wednesday. 
Love, 
Heather

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

... and leave some of the happiness You bring