keskiviikko 3. kesäkuuta 2015

Let's Make... Granny Square to Cardigan

Once upon a time I found a black cotton sweater from a flea market. I made sure it wasn't serged together, bought it, and asked it what it wanted to be. 
It proudly claimed to want to be a granny square. 
I hardly ever say no to fabrics and yarn, so I started a granny square. 
 By the time I'd reached row six, the former sweater said it actually really wanted to be a cardigan. 
Fine, I said, and added armholes on row nine. 
The yarn was happy, and I crocheted along for seven evenings. 
The process turned into a free pattern, and... 
 ... a humongous cardigan. 
 This is pretty much a square with sleeves you can wrap around yourself any way you like. 
 I added a shell edge to my black version a while back to give it a more decadent look. 
 With a tall enough collar, the edge doubles as a hood. Which is really nice during the winter when it's cold-cold-cold. 
Naturally, I wanted another one. This time, I found a red sweater that wanted to be something else. The yarn was a bit thicker, and the finished cardigan is stiffer and less flowing than the black one. Also, it came out a bit small. 
 It works well with the collar down, and it nice and warm. 
But if I flip it upside down... 
 ... I get a shorter hem and a large hood! 
These cardigans are versatile, comfortable, and warm. They're like a portable safety blanket with a purpose. 
 The pattern is available for free on Ravelry, Craftsy, and heatherwielding.com. I hope you enjoy it! 

Until next Wednesday. 
Love, 
Heather

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

... and leave some of the happiness You bring