perjantai 15. toukokuuta 2015

Let's Make... Scarf to Sweater

A friend gave me, among many other things, a scarf in my favourite colour. The scarf was a light, knit pashmina made with the softest yarn. My first instinct was to unravel it for yarn, but knitting takes a long time, and I wanted to wear the finished product NOW. The scarf wanted to be a cropped sweater, and I said it would just have to wait. I stashed it, and dug it back out twenty minutes later after hearing it cry. 
If a scarf wants to be a sweater that badly, who am I to say no?
I started by cutting a strip off one end. This would be my collar, and the rest the bodice and sleeves. The knit was delicate and fragile, so I had to work fast to keep it from coming undone. 
When working with knits, use your serger, and a very short stitch length. It will keep the knit from unravelling. You'll have to treat the finished garment with a bit of care, though. No excessive stretching! Also, work fast with light hands. 
I folded the strip lengthwise, and serged through the edge. 
I marked the centre-point of the scarf, along with collar width. I wanted the collar quite wide, so it wouldn't feel constricting. 
Cutting was really scary, opening the fold even scarier. The knit held better than I expected, but I tried to treat it as gently as possible. 
I pinned the collar to the fresh wound with right sides facing, careful not to pull at anything. 
After serging the seam, I got to try the project on. 
While I was at it, I marked the width for hem. Turning a scarf into a shrug or a sweater is quite simple: fold it over, and sew long ends together, leaving an opening in the middle. Cut a hole for neckline, and you're done. 
I shaped the sleeves a bit to avoid the shapeless "too baggy"-look. 
At this point, a sweater I no longer care for decided it wanted to play, too. I cut off the long cuffs which were pretty much the only thing I liked about it. 
Attaching the cuffs to super-wide sleeves seemed a bit impossible. With patience and a lot of pins, I got the two to sit nicely together. 
 Adding long cuffs gave me reverse puff sleeves, which I don't have enough of.  
The entire project took less than an hour. and the finished sweater is so good I want to wear it all the time. 

You can now follow this blog also at a Finnish service called Blogipolku. Click the button on the sidebar for easy access!

Until next time. 
Love,
Heather

2 kommenttia:

  1. OMG, that's adorable! I never would have had the nerve it to cut it, but with those puffy sleeves you've added it's amazing! I might have to try cutting one up from the Goodwill just to see if I can do it. That way, no great loss if I ruin it. ;)

    You look happy. ❤

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you. Cutting was scary, but this wasn't the first time I've slaughtered a knit so I knew it was doable. The scarf was very delicate, and it raised the difficulty level a bit, but with a less fragile texture the process will be easier.

      I'm getting my muchness back ^^

      Poista

... and leave some of the happiness You bring