torstai 17. heinäkuuta 2014

Order: Customizing a Yellow Blazer

Once upon a time, there was a yellow blazer. I was asked to spruce it up a bit by adding a large shirt collar, and a hidden zipper to the side. The blazer was fully lined, which gave me a bit of a headache. In order to keep the inside as tidy as possible, I went inside the coat. 

Sain toteuttaa asiakkaalle jakun muutoksen. Keltaiseen jakkuun toivottiin suuri paitakaulus, ja piilotettu vetoketju sivulle. Lisäsimme suunnitelmaan vielä tehosteväriset raidat helmaan, hihansuihin, ja vetoketjun saumoja piilottamaan.
Jakku oli vuoritettu, minkä vuoksi menin suosiolla jakun ja vuorin väliin. Näin kauluksen istutus kävi helpoimmin. 

I started with installing the collar. I thought I'd taken photos of the process, but I couldn't find any. Luckily, we'll see the collar after a few photos. 

I continued by adding a strip of fabric to the hem. These stripes are only on the top layer. 

Luulin ottaneeni kauluksen teosta kuvia, mutta enpä löytänyt ainuttakaan. Onneksi kaulus näkyy seuraavissa kuvissa.
Ompelin jakun helmaan raidat keltakuvioisesta kankaasta. Nämä raidat ovat vain päällipuolella. 

Then, I sewed both sides of the zipper in place. Before I got to this step, I had to take a break: I didn't have any yellow thread! While shopping, I picked up something that I'll use for a Let's Make-post in the near future. 

Ompelin vetoketjun molemmat puoliskot paikoilleen. Ennen tätä askelta piti pitää taukoa: varastosta ei löytynytkään keltaista ompelulankaa. Ostosreissulta tarttui mukaan muutakin mukavaa, jota katsellaan myöhemmin Let's Make-osaston postauksessa. 

I used accent fabric to cover the edges of the zipper. Strips on both sides of the blazer ensured a tidy finished look. And were challenging to align! 

Kauluksen istutuksen yhteydessä ompelin jakkuun tehosteväriset kaitaleet molemmin puolin. Käytin niitä piilottamaan vetoketjun sauman. Nämä kaitaleet toistuvat jakun molemmin puolin, eikä niiden kohdistaminen ollut lainkaan haastavaa, mitenniin? 

 The cuffs got their stripes as well. These stripes are also only on the top layer. I had to leave stitching visible on the inside. Going in between the lining and the blazer would have been a bit on the pricey side. 

Hihansuutkin saivat omat kaitaleensa. Nämä ompelin vain päällipuolelle. Nurjalta ompeleet näkyvät, mutta hihan sisään meno olisi ollut jokseenkin hintava reissu. 

To make the blazer a bit more feminine, I added bows to the cuffs. They're sewn on by hand, and can easily be removed. 

Lisäsin hihansuihin rusetit antamaan naisellista ilmettä. Rusetit on ommeltu paikoilleen käsin, ja ne on helppo irrottaa. 

 The blazer turned out quite cute. I hope my client will like it as well. 

Jakun ilme muuttui aika tavalla. Toivottavasti asiakaskin on tyytyväinen. 

For next time, I promise a Let's Make-post. 
Until then. 
Love, 
Heather

keskiviikko 9. heinäkuuta 2014

Order: Pimpin' up a Coat

A long, long time ago, I received a winter coat, with a request to make it pretty. Yay, said I, and set to work. 
I like customizing clothes, turning a discarded item into something beautiful again. 
The original coat was off-white wool, with brown leather details. The shape of it was a bit meh, and a long belt made it a tad impractical. 
The quality of the coat was good, but the general look... well, not so much. 


I've been pretty busy with orders, so I worked on the coat whenever I had the time. 
I started with cutting it to knee-length. From the left over fabric, I cut wedges to give the hem a bit more width. I opened the side seams, and noted that the coat had been sewn in a peculiar way. In order to keep the classy look, I finished the seams by hand. 


The coat got a funkier look as I added a black tulle ruffle to the hem before closing it. To give the coat a more feminine look, I embroidered the seams with rows of white flowers. 


I replaced the brown leather with large, black buttons. The cuffs got a bit of lace, and more white flowers. In this pic, you may actually see them. 


 I gave the coat a more practical button closure. The two extra rows of buttons are there mainly to cover marks left by the previous detailing. 


In the back, I used the belt to create another detail. A bit of lacing works wonders in changing a garments overall look. 


It took me an awfully long time to alter the coat, but I hope the recipient will be happy with the results. 

Until next time. 
Love, 
Heather