maanantai 4. elokuuta 2014

Let's Make... Tuning up Turtlenecks

The basic turtleneck. 
Suffocating, constricting, impractical. 
But should you toss it just because the collar may be a bit off? 
No. 

I had two ordinary turtlenecks. Both were a perfect fit save for the itchy collar. So I decided to give them a makeover. I'll guide you through the process of modding two tops in two different ways, so prepare for a humongous post with loads of pics! 

I started from this. Two turtlenecks, both black, both from the flea market at the total cost of 3€. 




I started by removing the collars. The first one I cut off, shaping the neckline rounder. I opened the seam of the collar piece, and cut two inch wide strips from it. 



When modding collars on tops, I like to use the excess material for binding necklines. That way, the binding matches, and you don't have to throw so much out. 
Binding a basic O-neck is relatively easy: you take a long strip of fabric, fold it so that you have wrong sides facing, slap it on the right side of the neckline, and sew. 


If your neckline is wider than the original collar, you'll need to make seams on your strip. Align them with shoulder seams for a finished look. 














Fold the strip with wrong sides facing, and pin it on the right side of your neckline.





When working with elastic fabrics such as T-shirt jersey, always use your serger. That way, the elasticity of the fabric will remain in the seams. 





Turn the seam to the wrong side, and top stitch. 
All done. This is one easy way of getting rid of the irritating turtleneck, and salvaging a top for further wear.







I wanted the other top to be a bit different. I started by picking out the seam on the collar. Then, I again opened the collar to gain binding material. Only this time, I saved half of the collar to be re-attached. 
After all, turtlenecks can be fun, too. 






I shaped the neckline differently this time. In order to gain a keyhole neck, I cut out a teardrop-shaped piece, making sure I kept the original size of the neckline.











While I was at it, I cut thumbholes into the sleeves. To do this, put the top on, mark the place where your thumb joins to your hand, and cut a small hole below that mark into the sleeve.





I continued by binding the keyhole using the same method as before. 
After that, I made two button-loops. I measured a tight length to my new collar, and attached the loops. 




The collar is just a wide, folded strip of fabric. Attaching it was just like binding a neckline, only I had to be careful to get the ends tidy. 
After serging, I secured the ends of threads into the seams by hand. 









After adding buttons, the collar was done.




I wanted to bind the thumbholes, too, but it turned out a lot trickier than expected. The hole was rather small and the foot on my serger rather large. After a few pin-related injuries and many curses, I did it. 
It's difficult, but doable. I recommend using bias tape and a sewing machine for this. 



The entire process of modding two turtlenecks took me about three hours (photo-snapping and all), cost me about three euros, and resulted in two cool "new" tops to wear. 
Buying new isn't always the only way to go. Sometimes modding what you have can be more fun. 

Until next time. 
Love, 
Heather


2 kommenttia:

  1. Ooh, thanks for the mod ideas. I have a turtleneck that I'm not wearing for the same reasons.

    VastaaPoista

... and leave some of the happiness You bring